Resources to help stimulate student interest in anthropology
- Order free copies of Discover Anthropology and Careers in Anthropology brochures
- Bring students along to the free London Anthropology Day
- Encourage students to find out about anthropological events and activities by joining the Anthropologist About Town events blog
- Encourage students to take a look at our study and experience section
- Use the following in presentations or in the classroom:
http://www.aaanet.org/cmtes/commissions/aec/Anthropology-Resources-for-Educators.cfm - The American Anthropological Association has compiled an extensive list of web links for major specialist areas in anthropology, as well as geographical regions and related subjects.
http://www.socialscienceforschools.org.uk- A new website from the Economic and Social Research Council which brings social science research into the classroom.
http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/xiaoyu/majorweb.html - Internet resources for teaching and learning anthropology.
http://highschoolanthropology.com/ - a website containing examples of student projects, teaching resources, and links for teaching anthropology to secondary school students.
The RAI's academic publication Anthropology Today offers articles on anthropology in the news, anthropological research and current debates in the discipline.
Recommended text books and ethnographies:
Throughout this website there are suggested ethnographies and other publications which have been listed under their appropriate topic. For a list of recommended ethnographies which are accessible to students beginning their exploration of anthropology visit our ethnography page.
Suggested lesson plans/classroom activities:
- What is anthropology? An Introduction
- Observing and Portraying another culture
- Cross cultural variations in personhood
- Evans-Pritchard, Witchcraft and Coherentism
Visiting Museums and Libraries:
- Discover Anthropology has an extensive list of museums and libraries throughout the UK which contain anthropological material. Visit our museums and libraries page to find a center near you.
- The Center for Anthropology at the British Museum hosts one of the most extensive collections of books, journals, and other printed material related to anthropology.
Using Ethnographic Films:
Discover Anthropology has a quick reference guide to some of the films which are included in the RAI's ethnographic film library. Take a look at the following PDFs for films on: